Out of the pan and into the fire...the value of the Holy Ghost...week 74

Monday, January 16, 2017

There's a man who just got baptized last year at Christmas, and Christmas still isn't stopping for him. When he was young, he was not a faithful husband, and was abusive as a father. However, after years of regret followed by just as many years of searching for healing, he found this church. Though the repentance was long, he was faithful all the way through. He had the opportunity just last night to have all of his children and his wife come to the church. He had a marriage counseling appointment set with one of the Branch Presidents and his kids had fun with the sister missionaries and members. Though Elder Aldridge and I had other appointments to be to, we returned to excited stories about how his wife and children were wanting to come back next week to attend church.

Another story about an investigator who will be baptized next month: His boss has been very good to him and helped him pay off a few debts  with advance payments, so he feels a need to be loyal to his boss. However, he feels uncomfortable in the middle of an affair that is going on with his boss, the wife, and another woman. He is told to drive all over Hong Kong and even to take his family to other countries on "surprise vacations" to give him time. We told him to talk to the branch president about what to do (because I cannot believe how many reminders I have had in the past few days about how I'm still just a 19 year old boy from Springville, Utah who thought these kinds of situations were fake horror stories about third world workers to help me be more grateful for my job). He wants to talk to his boss about his discomfort, but doesn't know what to do and is very fearful for the debts that might be brought up if he tries anything along these lines. Elder Aldridge and I took the opportunity to teach about the Holy Ghost and how if he has it's guidance, he has no need to be worried, because his employer's heart would be softened. There was a good feeling that came when we shared it, and I actually began to tear up a little. I felt Heavenly Father's worry and concern as well as his love for this man. I felt portions of what this investigator felt and I wanted to help him...so I bore my testimony. I know that God loves us. He has sent His Son as our teacher, savior, and brother to break the chains of death and sin. God has blessed His elect, covenant people with the Gift of His Holy Spirit, the third member of the Godhead and a testator of the truthfulness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, a guide for the lost, a comforter for the disheartened. A teacher that knows how you learn even better than YOU do. He speaks to you through feelings, memories, desires, and even through visions. He carries the blessings of God's love to the broken hearts of God's children. He helps us feel the true character of Christ, and motivates us to change in harmony with it. I have felt the Spirit so strongly so many times in my life. I cannot deny it's power. I cannot label it's value, only testify of it.

Otherwise, I can finally send pictures this week. I ate dinner 3 times last night, so I'm feeling a little bloated right now. Filipino and Indonesian food is really, REALLY good...I'll have to take pictures next time I'm not having food shoved down my throat.

Elder Lee and I at the last Zone Training I had in Tolo Harbor.


I got it for free, so...not sure what to do with 800+ pages of apostasy, but it'll be a good read for later.



3+4 some pretty cool suit fabrics, but not necessarily ones that I'll buy.



These are people that I will miss, at least for the time being (until next transfer happens and we all get moved around again...) Elder Darrington, Elder Samuel Taylor (from England), Elder Walker, and Elder Harding.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground