International missionaries have the best job ever...week 73

Monday, January 9, 2017

I will try to describe the system of the international Hong Kong District. First, the situation:
There are approximately 400 active Filipino and Indonesian active members that attend in the Wan Chai chapel (FYI, there are actually four chapels in this building). These workers have very difficult schedules and only one day per week off (usually not on Aunday). If I am not mistaken, they are the only members in the world that are allowed by the first presidency to change the Sabbath to a different day other than Sunday.

Therefore, we have almost daily worship services (except on Mondays). Because there are almost no priesthood brethren except for the full time branch presidency for this branch (called Victoria 2nd branch), Elder Aldridge and I are assigned to administer the sacrament every Sunday. We do not attend the other meetings that they have. There are then the Victoria 1st and Island 1st and 2nd branches that meet on Sundays. Island 1 and 2 meet at 1:30 on Sundays, so we can only make it to one every other week to administer the sacrament to these two sacrament meetings. We rotate with members of other wards and branches, whichever priesthood brethren are available at the time. The Victoria 1st ward is all of the people that speak fluent English and are able to come on Sunday. Because this branch meets at 9 am, there are not too many Filipino members here. It's mainly other races: American, English, Russian, French, etc...Mainly white people or American born Chinese people. We have a couple of African American families as well. I hope this is clear enough. I am literally super-ultra-active in attending my church meetings. Don't worry though, I will still attend all of my meetings when I'm done too.

I will probably be finishing here. I didn't know this before, but I will also be learning Indonesian in addition to Tagalog and RE learning fluent English. My adaptor is somewhere in the depths of my suitcase (too busy to unpack fully so far...) so no pictures today. I will only be with Elder Aldridge for five weeks and then he finishes his mission. I will probably be finishing my mission in this area. That's what has happened to the last ten or so elders that have been sent here.


Have a great week! GO TO CHURCH! You should feel privileged to have it so available. These sisters have sacrificed everything. They have been abandoned by their families, husbands have been unfaithful, and so much wrong has been done. They come faithfully to church though because the gospel is literally the only thing that they have working for them!

Notes from Mom:  Last week after we heard from Ian I asked more quesitons so he could clarify this week what his assignment is. I was impressed by his faith/hope that he expressed at the end of the last letter.  "This is going to be fun!" Considering he added Indonesian to his repertoire, I am impressed and humbled and recognize that I can personally put more effort into what Heavenly Father asks of me.  His reply:  "I have Tagalog and Indonesian to learn. The details about the system for the branches will be described in the mass email. I'm not clear on the date, but probably around late July or early August. Remember that around this time President Lam will be releasing approximately 33 missionaries. That's about a quarter of the mission. He doesn't want to do that in one single flight's worth of missionaries.

The languages are hard. You're right though, I'm not worried about it. These people's English is actually quite excellent. I will still do as much as possible to learn these languages though because I have learned in my experience of Chinese that a communication of love is infinitely more effective when two things are done. First is always to be done by the power of the spirit. The other is to actually speak their mother language."  

I also asked to clarify where he lives because it was rumored that they live IN the Wan Chai chapel building.  His answer is no.  "The missionaries DEFINITELY don't live in the church building. Those are high-level general authorities that live there. I live about 15 minutes walk away from the chapel. The Mission President lives in the temple. I lived across the hall from him for four-ish months." Our friends, the Burns, attend church in that building.  Ian said, "I saw her husband at church, but not her. Brother Burns is SUPER nice though! The entire branch is."

Ian spoke briefly about his new companion, Elder Aldridge.  "Elder Aldridge is awesome. Random fact, he can solve a seven by seven by seven rubix cube...it's pretty legit."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground