From 4 Stakes to 6 Stakes...week 39

Monday, May 16, 2016

This week, we had a regional conference that included the Taiwan, Macau, and Hong Kong stakes. The meeting was AWESOME!  I was actually able to understand the majority of it in Cantonese (there was no English translation given to us). We went from 4 stakes to 6, so we are now short on missionary forces, so we are going to be getting a larger support soon (hopefully).

Elder Gong of the Presidency (who served as the Seventy in Hong Kong just before becoming a member of the presidency and served his own mission in Taiwan), and Elder M. Russel Ballard spoke. A specific scripture mentioned was D&C 64:33. We are especially exhorted to not be rebellious, but faithful in keeping the commandments (specifically mentioned were tithing and Keeping the sabbath day holy). We are invited to open the windows of heaven. A rather simple action in itself, but with great and influential consequences. We can all become willing to let those small and simple things begin to take a larger precedence in our own mortal ministry.  

A man I would like you to meet is Brother Tong. He just received baptism a month ago. I actually had the opportunity to teach him before his baptism, and even then I could tell he was solid. We are trading back and forth three times a week between reading in the book of mormon and Preach My Gospel with him (we are in 2 Nephi in the Isaiah chapters). He loves and cherishes the word of God. He has a strong testimony of the Book of Mormon and of Joseph Smith being the one who by the power of God translated it. We love him and pray for him daily as he grows in wisdom and favor with God, as we all should be striving to do.

Kind of short today, but know that I love you all, I pray for EACH ONE OF YOU, yes, even if you don't read this every week. I don't really care about that as much as whether or not we are all keeping the commandments in exactness. Allow God to lead you into Life Eternal, Life Peaceful, and Life Fulfilled. Ga Yauh!




Notes from Mom:  This week we received a letter from Ian's mission president, President Lam.  It informed us that Ian had been chosen to serve as a district leader.  President Lam made some more personal comments about Ian.  "Sister Lam and I love and appreciate Elder Taylor and have great confidence in his ability to serve as a very successful District Leader.  He loves the Lord and I know the Lord loves him."  We are sure it isn't the first letter President Lam has sent to various families with missionaries serving as District Leaders, but we love getting his letters in the international envelopes with Chinese characters.  Ian had this to say when we mentioned it:  "The letter is mostly a form letter, but there are specific parts that he specializes. I have a cc of it in my journal. It definitely wanted me to act like I had earned the trust of President Lam. The responsibilities themselves are going very well. I love being able to see the progress of not only our companionship, but the entire district from a slightly "taller" view. It makes me think about the prophet being similar to the guard at the top of the watchtower, and he has a few people closer to the ground to be more individually based with those who need help and support."  Ian is so committed as a missionary and working hard.  

We also received an email from Bryan's abuela in Argentina.  She gets Ian's letters translated by Bryan's dad and read to her by Bryan's aunt Graciela.  She wrote us:  "Mis queridos nietos: Graciela me ha leído las cartas de las experiencias en la Misión de Ian .Me ha resultado interesantísimo ver que madures para explicar todo lo que va conociendo en aquel tan lejano país.Sólo quiero decirles que junto al orgullo de ustedes está el mío viendo en que forma maravillosa va creciendo mi bisnieto .Deseo se lo expresen a él.
Todo mi cariño en un abrazo imaginario para todos ustedes.

We sent the message translated to Ian.  "My dear grandchildren (she is addressing me and dad).  Graciela has been reading me the letters of Ian’s mission experiences.  I have found it very interesting to see his maturity to be able to explain everything that is going on in that country.  I just want to say that I am proud with you for the wonderful way I see that my great-grandson grows.  I hope you will tell him.  All of my love and a pretend hug for all of you.”
Ian was glad to hear she is getting his letters.  She is not a member of the Church and will turn 95 this year.  He sais this:  "I am so happy to be able to read that message from BisAbuela. I can't believe that it's had such an impact, but I'm not super surprised either. I'm so grateful for God empowering my words in the Spanish translation."  Thank you, Ian, for sharing your experiences and testimony with all of us.  As you can see, it is not just a blessing to your immediate family, even though we love hearing it too!  Your happiness and your efforts in being a missionary is a blessing to many.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground