糖水...week 66

Monday, November 21, 2016


So I would like to share a little thing that I have been able to apply in the missionary work. Lately I am beginning to develop a craving to learn about the culture of Hong Kong. Buddhism, Taoism, Bai San, languages, wars, stories, and most importantly, FOOD! You don't just go about this just willy nilly as a missionary though. There is strategy to it. The example of this strategy is in this weeks example:
We have a brother in our ward. He is the only member of his family that has been baptized. The rest actually are very against the church and even the bishop of the ward has not had the opportunity to meet his family members.
However, this is a very TRADITIONAL chinese family. In this context, that means that if you ask them to teach YOU something, they are VERY willing to impart of this knowledge that they have, especially when you place the request the way that we missionaries have been taught here.
I want to learn how to make Tong Shui (糖水) a dessert soup that is AMAZING! I will make some for y'all when I get back...
I came to Brother Tong in one of our lessons and mournfully brought up my dilemma. My companion is not knowledgeable about cooking arts (though I still love him nonetheless). Moreover, I REALLY want to show everyone in america upon my return that Hong Kong culture and food is just undoubtedly better than americas. To prove it, I will use this Tong Shui. I begged him to ask his wife if she would be willing to teach us uncultured missionaries how to make this surprisingly simple dish the way that only a traditional Hong Kong mother knows how.
Long story short, she has accepted the invitation, and we are going to their house this week. YES!
I know that God will continue his work in ANY WAY POSSIBLE! Even if it means he has to teach missionaries how to cook at the same time. I would encourage all people to never give up, even in the face of all the resistance that we are facing. God will fight for you.
加油! 


Notes from Mom:  I sent a screen shot to Ian and some of the other missionaries from our ward.  I thought they'd get a kick out of it.  


"Today I got an email from Jesus. We know he speaks to us in language we will understand, right?! I haven't opened yet. I'll just assume it's a call to repentance."




Ian said, "Elder Lee and I both got a kick out of that one! You should just send it to the first presidency to record as direct revelation;)"

I also sent him a meme of scuba diving:  



"As 唐兄弟 would say: "mh,mh,mhmhmhmhmhmhmhmh!" In Cantonese, that actually is just a statement of agreement or confirming that something is correct."

I also sent Ian some pictures from Simon's musical that finishes Monday, November 21.  I told him that we've really enjoyed it.  He said, "I need to see that VERY desperately. I will be in my room for about three full days just catching up on all the 'records of the people of Taylor'."

I also mentioned Christmas to Ian.  He's looking forward to the Christmas call, and so are we.  I asked him what he wants and asked if his other new suits have come in.  His response:

"Suits won't be ready until the beginning of December. Thank you for all the pictures. I'm excited about the christmas call! Adam is looking tall. I don't see many pictures of him though...How is he doing? He and Owen are really the only ones that regularly email me (other than you). I'm actually thinking that I don't want anything for Christmas other than pictures. I could buy clothes at Uniclo or Baleno for SO cheap, and I literally have to walk for just 3 minutes out of my house to either of those stores. Food I am learning to LOVE here even more! Thank you for your prayers! 我愛你地! (That probably won't make as much sense in Mandarin...)"

From last week's emails there was something he mentioned that I googled and asked if the translation was correct.  

"I hope that you can get a translation of this somehow that actually makes sense, but get this: 欲速則不達."
The google translation was "Haste makes waste."

He replied that it is close.  "It means 'no shortcuts to success'. It's not too far off, but not the same either."  I forgot to ask more about his companion's conversion story.  Until next week!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground