General Conference and more...week 34

Monday, April 11, 2016

**Ian had to wait for conference to be translated into Chinese to watch with his ward in Tai Wai.  I gave him a bit of a spoiler as to some of the talks, but really, they were all good.  His first response this week was regarding conference.**

I wish I could just send home all of my notes and impressions of the conference now. That'll have to wait though. It's in my journal though! It's amazing how much more personalized the general conference is becoming. I don't know if it's because I have a greater need of it, more preparation in advance, or a mix of both. I truly do sustain these men as Prophets, Seers, and Revelators in these last days.  I also really loved Robert D. Hales' talk about the guidance of the spirit and using it in all aspects of our lives.



So this week was Elder Walker's Birthday. Super fun. A member donated a cake and we had loads of fun for the dinner hour. The two days after that was General Conference. So amazing. Three specific words that I got from it that I know are key to the progression of the kingdom as well as on a personal level: Sustain, Serve, and Sanctify. These were all applied in the aspect of caring for refugees, temple work, and ESPECIALLY the family. I loved Elder M. Russell Ballard's talk about the family council. It wasn't too long ago that the family home evening was implemented. I guess it is now time to take it to the next level. We should be willing to sustain our family and each individual member, serve them for the ability to develop charity towards them, and participate in ordinances that will, as the bread and water of the sacrament, become sanctified through the Priesthood authority of God.

Joshua 3:5 was once again made mention by Elder Jeffery R. Holland. We must sanctify ourselves. We must be purified and consecrated to the cause of Zion if we are to come forth in the morning of the first resurrection having eternal life and become crowned with glory from on high. This is my prayer for all of you and your families. I pray for you. I love you, and wish to have even more love for you as another apostle of the Lord Jesus Christ, serving in the China Hong Kong mission. May you all choose the HARD RIGHT rather than become distracted, angered, or downright deceived by the devil and his counterfeits. May you all be protected and feel the support of my soul. In the name of our Savior Jesus Christ, Amen.


Food is important. Chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast, photo courtesy of Elder Powell.


Elder Walker had this to say about conference:  "The Tolo Stake gathered in the Stake Center in Tai Po and watched the Saturday sessions.  We got to watch in English which was really nice.  Some of the members who spoke really good English watched it with us."




Then on Sunday we were able to watch it in our Sha Tin building.  That was fun.  In between session the ward had a huge pot luck so we got to eat!"

The entire ward, with the missionaries and the investigators, had lunch together between sessions. 



The Apartment is together for Priesthood session.


 The cake was donated for Elder Walker's birthday, and it brought back very fond and somewhat embarrassing memories of my passion for that little train. Elder Powell's mom Carrie sent me her son's letter, which included some additional narrative that Ian didn't include.  "This week was Elder Powell's birthday, so we woke up early to wake him up singing happy birthday and poking him.  It was good.  Then one of the members, Eva, got us a cake to give to him which was great.  Thomas the Tank Engine cake for the win."



Finally, this is A-Ken, or Kenny. He's super powerful. He came to General Conference. He's preparing for May 22 to receive baptism. He is probably of of the most specific and intent men that I have ever heard say a prayer. He truly strives to communicate with his Heavenly Father the desires of his heart.


Notes from Mom:  Elder Powell indicated that suit season is officially over!  They are happy, but it is going to get hot soon.  Spring session of General Conference marks that they don't have to wear suitcoats until the fall, unless theree is a formal meeting.  

Ian posted some video to a dropbox account we set up.  He has updated that and told us:  "Also, I just added a bunch of videos to the drop box account. Should work alright. Tell me if it doesn't. There is the monkey that stole our bread, rain coming through an alleyway, and most recently, the toads that are taking over the sewers. Yes that is the sound of toads, though they sound more like cows. Super funny to walk past, but kind of distracting when you are talking to someone on the street.  The water from that stairway was awesome. It got up to my shins!"  I will try to link to the short videos on this blog.  The frogs are unreal.

Also from Mom, I updated Ian on some recent events here at home.  Our neighbor's daughter was baptized and it was a beautiful service.  Some people he knows were there.  
"I'm so happy for the Andersons! They really are such an amazing family. I hope that they're doing all right.  I'm not surprised that Katie is just wrecking college right now. She really is just super awesome."  Owen turned 11.  The primary put a sign in the yard wishing him a happy birthday.  I sent Ian a picture so he could see it.
"I love this so much. I'm going to have to show this to my ward's primary presidency!"
I also asked him where his companions got the dinosaur costumes. Everytime I see pictures of them I laugh.



Ian responded, "I don't have a dinosaur costume, don't worry about that. Another beautiful thing about Hong Kong: you hit the street with an item in mind and you will eventually be able to find it. The skill comes it getting it down to a quarter of the price that they start at, if not lower. It helps to be able to surprise them that you are white and know Cantonese."

Simon has been a great example of temple attendance to our family and friends.  I mentioned this to Ian.  He had this to say:  "Isn't Andrew Oviatt in Peru, where there is going to be yet ANOTHER temple built!
Speaking of temples, tell Simon that I'm proud of him. That is one of the focuses that I hope you all caught in conference: temple attendance is one of the only things that will really keep you sane in the church. Otherwise the challenge is just too much. You need the strength of the temple in order to make it. I personally would be dead if I didn't have the temple every three months. I don't know how other missionaries could do it otherwise."




**As I've been catching up on Ian's blog I've run into some of the Cantonese salutations and subtly included them in my last email.  He was more than impressed:
Where'd you learn to talk like that!? Ngoh dou haih hou hingfahn! Gayauhgayauh! Beisamgei!
I'm also very excited! the literal translation is "Add oil", but you get the gist of it. Beisamgei is literally "give heart machine". Same effect as gayauh."**

No comments:

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground