Discipline is not what you think it should be...week 23

Thursday, January 28, 2016

**Ian attended the temple with his district Monday so his P day was moved to Thursday.



Here's a couple experiences from this week:
On a more comedic note, I was able to go door knocking for the first time ever on my mission, and we met a lot of success (because if Chinese people aren't moving in a rush anywhere, they feel obligation actually to answer the door and entertain their guest, be it a stranger or a friend). We met this lady who looked about 80 years old. She proudly pulled out of the corner of her small house a rat in a cage that she had caught and immediately drowned. She did this immediately after shaking my hand, and I began to start wanting to get to the nearest MTR in order to wash my hands. She was very nice though, and was a machine when it came to telling us about her neighbors and their religious beliefs. She didn't have any interest, being Bai Sahn (she worships her ancestors), but we got many other new/potential investigators because of her.

On a much more serious and personally sacred note...
We went to the edge of our area to surprise visit an old investigator that I hadn't talked to or seen in a month because he wasn't answering his phone.
Chinese culture is definitely different from America. Physical Punishment is much more controlled in America, but it's actually promoted in china in order to have the same order promoted in schools and other organizations. We got to the 24th floor of the building and as soon as the elevator doors opened I recognized the painful shouts of his daughter followed by his harsh shouts. We walked out of the elevator and waited for a second or two, though it felt like an eternity. Both of us were uncomfortable and flinched every time we heard what we found out later was a back scratcher on her. We didn't want to be there, but we turned it to God. As we prayed, that feeling that we both dreaded but desired came into our hearts that we needed to go and ring the doorbell. Mustering my courage, I did so. He opened his door, looked directly in my eyes, and stood still. He was still wielding his back scratcher, his eyes started as a wild and intense stare, but he softened as he realized who we were. He looked down shamefully and let us in. I took my shoes off, took a quick glance at Elder Powell, and sat down. He got us some hot water because it was about 5 degrees celsius outside. We saw his daughter in the corner doing what looked like writing homework. I told her as tenderly as possible that it was good to see her. I tapped her shoulder and she flinched, but immediately relaxed realizing that it wasn't any hostile movement.

Our investigator sat down. We opened immediately went to the scriptures where it was about Lamoni's father taking upon the responsibility to share what he had learned from Aaron. He knew that he had the responsibility to be an example to others. Especially his family. What he didn't get was that we are to act in long-suffering, speaking as the Spirit does with a still small voice, a voice of love, hope and comfort.

He still was confused. I followed a prompting to share a personal experience with the guidance of the spirit as a missionary who's duty is to serve God and be a representative of Christ. He was much more understanding, and we closed up with saying that prayer is the way to invite the spirit into your daily activities. Reading the scriptures is how you learn how the spirit has worked in the lives of others. Going to church is for the purpose of seeing it having been operative in the lives of others as well and sharing your own experiences in order to grow and strengthen each other. He agreed and said that he would be coming to an activity that we have this saturday. That'll be amazing, because we're making what is the chinese equivalent of a cookie, but with twice as much butter.
I forgot the camera this morning because we were up, exercised, ready and out the door this morning for our temple session, which is actually why I didn't have the opportunity until today to get back to everyone until today.

I love the temple. It's so wonderful to go there.
Actually, about that, I got moved. I no longer live in the temple. As of last week today I have been living in Sha Tin New Town Plaza area. It's a lot more convenient and much less expensive to reach our area now that we don't have to spend 11.5 HK$ every day on the MTR (Hong Kong's subway system).

I'll have to send a picture next week, but we also have a new ward mission leader. His name is Jordan Lee. I actually knew him a little bit before my mission! More a friend of a friend, but still super cool because we have quite a few common friends. He actually remembers seeing me at the Provo Rec Center Life Guarding. Super big coincidence! He leaves for his mission in a month to Vancouver Canada speaking Mandarin Chinese (look out Cordon Farris!).

Brother Li, Elder Powell, Elder Taylor


This week is based on my working on the weakness recovery program. Alma 7:23 describes the specific parts that make up the whole essence of humility. I've been working on submissiveness so far, but I'm about ready to start studying the next topic.

I love my mission! I love the people, the place, my companion, district, the mission president, and above all, this Gospel that has provided the way to Eternal Life for all that are willing to have Faith, Repent, be baptized, receive the Holy Ghost, and then Endure to the End.

Make sure that you are all going to the temple. If you cannot at the time, get ready to do so. That's literally the most important thing that you could ever do for yourself and your family.

I love you all!

P day at the temple





No comments:

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground