Not as cool as Simon, but still...week 83

Monday, March 20, 2017

So this week, on a Wednesday morning during an exchange that I was on with Elder Garcia, my best friend from Mexico, I get a call from a sister who was in charge of teaching gospel principles class that day. She reminded me about the story that I told her about "seminary donuts" (I will explain momentarily for those who haven't heard). She asked me if I would be willing to participate. I had just done my arms workout that morning and was actually feeling a little sore (weird feeling in your arms for a missionary). I also knew that I would need to go to a lesson before the class was over, and therefore would have to finish this thing in less than thirty minutes...I wanted to say no, but I thought it would be helpful for the members that day, and besides, there aren't that many people that come to the class anyways (usually 8 or 9). After sacrament I walked in and the lesson began. The stragglers started coming in, which scared me. We now have about 12 people. The example is that the teacher has a treat for everyone in attendance, but the trick is that I had to do 15 pushups for everyone there (she originally wanted me to do 25 per person, but I know my limits...). She went to the first person, and the struggle began. I'm glad that I've been keeping myself in SOMEWHAT good physical condition. More people flooded in during the class to see what was going on, and a total of 16 people were there. The entire time, I'm in a white shirt and tie (I was intelligent enough to wear a long sleeve shirt...). One of the Filipino sisters left because she was crying. People didn't want to eat their treat that I had won for them. Some people didn't even want me to do the pushups for them. The example required that everyone has the chance though, so I ended up doing 240 pushups. For times sake, I will only say that it hurt, and interestingly enough, my thought as I left was gratitude for deodorant. We closed, and even though I was out of breath, I was able to bear testimony of the reality of the Atonement of Jesus Christ. The spirit was super strong.

I also realized something with a couple of missionaries that are leaders in the international zone. We are all pretty old in the mission. Elder Johnson and Elder Woolley are leaving in 3 months. I leave two months after them. We talked about how our work just doesn't seem to be as invigorating. Our flame of faith no longer seems to be as bright as before. Our work hasn't slowed down, but the problem was, it WASN'T SPEEDING UP! I met with the District president and the mission president this week to report what we thought was a lot of success. To our dismay and confusion, they were actually very dissatisfied with our results. We are overjoyed at the miracles that are consistently coming, but the leadership of the mission said that they are becoming "impatient with the missionaries and the members." We are preparing to again "lengthen our stride." I love this work, and the fire has once again begun to rage with a "fervent heat" that I know will someday fill the world! Now behold the awkwardness of my impromptu apple store missionary selfie! Love you 



Just sent out the weekly email. Filipino sisters are funny. There are obviously a large range of personalities. Most of them are just the best fellowshippers in the church and just recently had their Relief Society Celebration yesterday/last week. There have been some issues that have arisen from past missionaries supposedly being very flirtatious with some of the members, which is NOT good considering these are many young women who are away from any type of male counterpart for as long as 10 years. Elder Johnson and I have been talking with the Branch Presidents though, and we are in the middle of solving the problems. There is a lot of personal contact from the Elders that will be temporarily eliminated, but we can still minister. I love these sisters. They really do a good job of magnifying their callings.

Notes from Mom:  Ian sends his emails and I get alerts because he is VIP.  ONLY IAN is a VIP emailer; that is until Simon becomes the only other VIP emailer.  This status allows me to know when he emails and then I can send a few messages back and forth.  Ian telling the donut story and relating it to Simon is because Simon did the push ups for Senior primary where he did 340 push ups.  No easy feat.  Ian said, "Love you too momma. Tell Simon that I sometimes daydream of a testimony as big as his. His testimony has always been the stronger part of him."

Notes continued:  Ian has been asking if anyone would like a suit made.  We'd love to have one sent for Simon, whose papers go in this week!  "I'm going to Cheung Hings today. I can get a little sheet and email a photo of it next week." We will get some measurements taken and hopefully Ian can send that home.  We also sent Ian pictures of Simon asking a date to prom, where he had a poster and a tandem bike.  "I like the tandem. Where did he get it? Nice shoes as well!"  It was borrowed from our friends and everyone loved how he asked her.  

I also sent Ian a picture of Mexican Hot Chocolate Ice Cream, which is his favorite winter dirnk.  "I need that sent to me and Elder Garcia...I'm not serious though...sorry, I like joking. I will see Elder Garcia after the mission too. He's going to be at Utah State."  It pleases me to know Ian has met so many wonderful friends on his mission and they will be able to keep in touch.  Then Ian requested a picture of the kids together:  
冇問題. (Translation:  There is a problem.)  Can you get a quick photo of all the kids together. I just want to see them all together. I never see that in the pictures you send because everyone is always off doing something fun or important. 

I told him I could.

 多謝你! (Translation:  Thank you!)

I had to google what he wrote in Chinese:  Thank you acridly and asked him what it means:
What does that mean-thank you bitterly? Google translate doesn't like it.

Ian said, "No. It's just because it's a Cantonese sentence finishing particle. Google doesn't know those." 

Neither does his mom.
So we sent a few photos.  
Ian :  Somebody is not wearing pants...nothing has changed😎

Mom:  How can you tell someone isn’t wearing pants?!  Adam put on a shirt and I was hoping to keep it above the waist!  

Ian:  First photo. I see some nice leg right there:) I also know what underwear he likes, so...

Mom:  Ha!  Yes.  Like I said, he was getting ready for bed.  I had to tell him to put a shirt on.  They were glad to do them for you though!

Ian: They do look genuinely happy. I'm glad I didn't bother anyone. Seems like everyones being better peacemakers. Love them all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground