First week in Hong Kong Week 10

Monday, October 26, 2015

**Ian's friend Kadyn Hillstead received his mission call this week and we told Ian.  He starts with his response to the news**

That's so wonderful! I wish I could've been there to see his family's reaction. They all are so well bound in their relationship as a family. I wish them all the happiness that I have found as a missionary and more. He's going to make an amazing missionary. Tell him that even after 3 years consecutively taking Mission Prep class, I still wish that I had studied Preach my Gospel SO much more. Memorize his purpose, the first vision, and whatever else is required of him PRIOR to entering the MTC. It will be a good head start for him on the MTC.

Anyways, about this city...HONG KONG! This city has some of the tallest structures in the world with even more floors because everything is super short. Hitting my head all the time has become a nuisance, but I will get over it.

It's very hot here, very humid, and VERY polluted. My vision has noticeably adjusted. I can't see as far because of the haze, but I don't think it's hurting my eyes. Everyone here is also super short. There are about 5 people total out of the million that I have seen that are about my height. Elder Turner, Elder Warner, Elder Smith, And myself are probably in the top .001% of tallest people in Hong Kong.
Sorry mom, you were so close, but my companions name is Elder Tung. He's a bundei (local Hong Konger) who speaks near fluent english. You must have been praying really hard, because he is GREAT! He likes sea kayaking and studied at BYU Hawaii for a year. It's a little hard to go finding with him because he has a really bad injury from his childhood where he has a little bit of difficulty walking, but we press forward. I try to be a support to him in any way that I can.

The food here is indescribable. There are no similarities to the food at home, even the stuff that claims to be genuine Chinese food. I have some of the freshest fruit in the world in my fridge for about $5 HKD/lb. My companion knows how to cook, but we are often going out to eat because of how cheap it is. You can't order water when you go out because they only give this to you hot. I learned that the hard way when I had a literal trial by fire in ordering my first meal of noodles. I accidentally ordered the spiciest kind and asked for water. I was miserable, but I finished the food. It actually tasted pretty good. It just hurt.

The apartment is super tiny. You could fit it all in the front entry area of our house with plenty of room to spare. We have a washer and a dryer though. YES!

I'm sweating so much. I have worked hard to make sure I don't lose weight though. Still about 180, just a little more defined. My face broke out really bad initially, but I think I'm more used to it now. It was probably just because of the plane ride.

Speaking of the plane ride, Elder Herzog and I had a really interesting experience. A man named Mark would walk down the aisle of the plane about every 25 minutes and would put a slip of paper on Elder Herzog's tray with a scripture on it. We both looked up all of these scriptures. All in the Bible. All talking about deceivers, false teachers, sons of perdition, and other evil stuff. I was actually surprised to find myself laughing a little bit. This man had never met us before, didn't know that we were 18 year old young men, and the only things he'd heard about the church were quite anti and untrue.  We ended up talking to him for about 40 minutes at the back of the plane explaining some of his questions, sharing our testimonies of the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith, and teaching the first lesson of the Restoration of the Gospel. He agreed with everything we had to say. We gave him a Book of Mormon, a pamphlet, and a passalong card. Don't know how he's doing right now, but we sent his contact info in when we arrived at the mission home.

I have my interview with president Lam today because there are simply to many new arrivals. He seems very kind and interested in our welfare, as well as his wonderful wife.

I am right now in the Kwai Chung area. We are actually opening it with 2 other elders and 2 other sisters because of the twenty four of us that just showed up. Elder Tuhng, Elder Shipp, Elder Fields, Sister Taylor, Sister Hadley, and myself make up the district. So many missionaries. We have been invited to so many members homes to eat amazing food and meet amazing and happy people.
I have had my eyes ripped open by the spirit to see through God's eyes how much he loves these people and see how much he has in store for them. The work in not only hastened...it's accelerating at such an amazing rate. All the gifts He has promised have hit me in the face one by one every second as I open my heart a little more to the reality of God's love and power being exercised. We are protected and supported on every hand. Forget left and right, it's almost like swimming in God's love and care. So this is what missionary work is supposed to feel like. I have never been happier.
The language is impossible, but I was thankfully prepared for that. With the spirit and the gift of tongues, I see so much potential here. and I can't wait to hit the ground running after all of this craziness.

To all the missionaries from ages one to 92, I say Gayauh, and keep the faith. This is worth it and more. God is almighty and all loving. I have nothing to fear but my own unwillingness to work hard. I won't ever let that happen.

Subway was easy to figure out. Still working on the bus system, but I think I'm close.

My ponderize scripture is D&C 4 because I still have yet to memorize the cantonese version.

I love you all! I was so grateful to be able to talk to everyone. Gayauh!

Elder Taylor's Mission President, President Lam, is so wonderful to post things on Facebook.  He included pictures and video of the trainer/trainees that recently arrived.


A picture borrowed from another blog, which has a back of the head shot of Ian.  Desperate for photos here.  






Elder Taylor's first area:  Kwai Chung (just an image from the internet.  No pictures from Ian yet.)


Thank you so much for your experiences and love. It's a real support and blessing. Two more things before I have to go. 1) Saw and thankfully killed my first Cockroach. 2) I don't have time to share a thought about the message from the first presidency this month, but PLEASE tell the Andersons and the Lundbecks that I love and pray for them. Also thank the Lundbecks for their kind card that they sent. Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground