Starting week 6 (I think)...week 5

Monday, September 21, 2015

I'm starting to lose track of how long I have been out as far as weeks go. I know today is day 33 though (still going on the pushups). I am so grateful for the pictures. I had REALLY short hair at that time. Adam looks happy and Calvin is still getting bigger. I hope you have some honey left for me! 

Haven't been able to get the mail in a while because of the old district leader being sick, but that isn't a problem any more cuz we have a new one. Elder Smith is one of the greats in our district. He and I have recently started a quartet with elder Belknap and Elder Chen (both surprisingly really good voices). We are in the middle of preparing "Brightly beams our Father's mercy." Speaking of singing, we actually had the chance to have an "MTC and the Spoken Word" where Lloyd Newell came and addressed us and invited the Choir of 1000 strong to sing songs chosen by the conductor of the MTC choir related to his message. Such an amazing experience. Lloyd Newell's voice may carry like Heaven itself were coming through his mouth, but he also has quite a load of wisdom that he took the opportunity to share with us.

This morning for the temple was a little different with Elder M trying to get there with his friend who's companion REALLY wanted to go with his district. That is why I am emailing so much later today. The endowment session was great though. I even saw Brother Goodsell when I walked in. So glad to have been able to see him today.

The Chipotle and Trader Joe's bags are such comforting memories. Yes Adam, I saw your addition to it. Took care of the debit card. Feeling good and seasoned in the MTC now. I'm pretty sure that next week our cantonese district will be the oldest ones here. I know this place up and down. I love going to the field and playing soccer against the Thai district (today is their last day and I gotta get my A game to be ready for it). Today is an especially beautiful day.

My prayers are answered so often here, and the hand of the Lord is so obvious to me. The happiness and joy that comes from a sincere and repentant heart is nearly overwhelming. I learn line upon line that which God would have me increase in, focusing less on the external and more on my heart as well as how to strengthen the ones surrounding me. I love my Heavenly Father, and as I submit myself to his will, each day he strengthens my body and spirit, and at night he gives me knowledge. A message that I invite everyone to read brings me back to my home teaching days (since I am still not released, could you please send this message to brother Ross, the Lundbecks and the Andersons as soon as possible along with my love). A message by Dieter F Uchtdorf called "Always in the Middle" discusses the fear in the beginning of a quest as well as the lack of hope towards the end of the same. His invitation is simple: to avoid the hopelessness and fear that come from individual adventures of childhood, schooling, mission, or even marriage, by "speaking or acting with confidence and boldness" and not getting ahead of ourselves in the work. This perspective and way of life promotes happiness, efficiency, and invites the guidance of the spirit through our hard work as well as our humility. I know this is true and I see it developing in my own mission. I seek to apply it in all facets of my life and I invite all to do the same.

Now to just my family:
Mom and Dad: I love seeing the picture of you two at Yellowstone. You are the main example in my life of love through trials and all circumstances. I know you're not perfect, but your efforts and obedience to the law of God are to me surpassed by none. Thank you, and know that before I go to sleep every night I imagine you both sitting next to me, and I know that the spirit uses my memory of your counsel to strengthen me. I love you.

Simon: How great it was to see you with me at Cracker Barrel. Reminders of good memories and how much bigger you are going to be in comparison to me next time I see you. As dumb as you think you are, I know that the Lord has plans for you that you can't even comprehend. Power and responsibilities that will be placed as a heavy mantel on your capable shoulders. I miss being able to talk with you...and talk and talk and laugh and punch and laugh again (maybe a small amount of involuntary gas coming out of one of us). I invite you to be a leader to all. An example of soberness, righteousness, and complete dedication to the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Never stop pushing your limits.

Ana: You beautiful girl, I wish I was still around to harass you (sorry:). I can't help but regret all of the arguing that I have done with you and how often I have not felt worthy of my calling on this earth as your older brother. It's really difficult for me to get past that, but I wan't you to know that you are, of all five of us, the cleverest. It will be you that will keep your standards among strife and temptation among your friends. I beg of you to study and seek the counsel of God through the words of his servants. They all are called of God and set apart to strengthen you. Remember to lift others in your trials before turning inwards. This is the true character of Christ.

Adam: As good as Chipotle is, I advise you to seek treasures in Heaven. Share the blessings that you have abundantly received in this life, and I can promise you that your light will grow brighter and warmer to the extent of aiding Christ in saving the "sin sick souls" that need your powerful testimony and protection from the adversary. You are meant to be a strength to your siblings, especially to Owen. I have failed in many ways, and I hope that you have learned from them and become a bigger man than I have. Never cease to be amazed with your own divine potential and abilities. In Ether, the brother of Jared communicated to the Lord his understanding and faith in the power of even the simplest miracles. That faith is the faith through which you can see and perform the miracles of your Heavenly Father.

Owen: Happiness is your greatest ally. How do you attain this happiness? I'm going to let you find out for yourself, and ponder ways to become more courageous in the dark and anxious moments of your existence. you have always had the energy and power of mind to work for God's purposes. Your next objective should then be to make a new heart like Ezekiel said. I have talked with dad for extensive periods of time about how we can get happiness. I tell you this: you are the one in control of the door latch. If you open it, happiness is promised on the other side. Convince yourself of the truth and you will be set free by the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Felts: Thank you for the study topic. I am taking Elder Bednar's council and applying it to your question: read the Book of Mormon with one question in mind and highlight the verses that help answer that question. Ears Chrissy, and I think I am in an identity crisis regarding the Young Women's award. Matt, thank you for your humility and willingness to do literally anything for your family. Bea, you're a winner always, but you can help others win too by sharing your testimony with them. Hen, strength isn't found in the gym or on the field, but on your knees. Fred+Floss, if I could hold you again, I could cause the very gates of Hell to shake and the walls of Jericho to come down from the songs my heart would sing.

Kiefers: Jake, you taught me to have fun when I am working, as well as to know that real work is never for yourself. Carrie, you have loved my siblings and I no matter what we said to you or did wrong. Long suffering goes to you. Lila, you taught me a little bit about why I am here and who I am so that I can know where I am going. Cally, I see you as my hero. Though small you are, you still have a touch of Heaven left in your eyes.

Steeles: Max, I just wish I could have had a jam session with you. Griff, I really feel like you will end up playing basketball or something in the Olympics for Saudi Arabia (if that's even a thing). George, you belong on top of the world, but the fastest way there isn't by climbing. It's all about your attitude. Jared and Ange, I will always love you guys, and I know that any success that you have had is because you have relied on God. Thank you for that example.

Vandifords: teaching truly is the greatest of all callings. you have always done so in your lives with your children and our family. All of you are so unified I feel that I should address you as one body. That is quite a feat considering that as being what the ultimate goal for Zion is.

Hong Kong or bust! 

Long day, but I have a few minutes left on computer. This language is killing me...in a good way. Today, we talked about the difference between janleih contexts. If you say Ligo haih janleih, you are saying "this is true," but if you say "ngoh jan leih," you are saying "I hate you." By putting the jan leih in front of ngoh, you make the context very negative. The characters are different, but the pronunciation is completely the same. Fun fact for the day:)

Make sure that you are giving my remarks to the family! Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground