Wood and Iron...and how bad we are at using them...week 6

Monday, September 28, 2015

So the most insane moment this week was finding out two things. One is that our other sister, Sister Lo, is now gone because she's already pretty much fluent in Cantonese and got her visa last week.
We have gone from 14 people to 12 Elders. Slightly less crowded, but I really hope the Elders keep their manners and use the restroom when they need to if you know what I'm saying. I'm a lucky guy. Even as a somewhat fully grown person my body still doesn't stink. My district is highly jealous, but I on the other hand get the full wall of 12 guys that just got back from gym. Simon and Ana, if you thought I stink, you are in for one of the most rude awakenings of a lifetime. 

Second is that Richard G. Scott passed away. Not exactly helping with the rude awakening. They actually announced it in residence just after we got back, so I got both of those at the same time. Not the best feeling.

I got more letters from the Felts. Tell Flossy her characters were sublime and tell Henry and Beatrice that I'm glad they are doing so well. Beatrice, I will be vague, but it is not my place in any way to advise you in your responsibilities. You are the one that needs to feel the spirit and pray for guidance as to what you do. Above all follow the example of our Savior. I miss having dinner with you guys too. Hopefully the food wasn't too delicious.

A little tidbit about the MTC: Every wednesday, your MTC card, which gives you access to all of the buildings, also receives $6 in MTC credit. You can use this at the store, the vending machines, or simply save it for later. I think I have about $25 on it because I don't really use it that much. Relay this to Tyler.

Speaking of the Taylor side of the family, I wan't to just say thank you for the love and support you have given me. Dad, I'd be really grateful if you aren't doing this already if you sent all of my weekly letters to your siblings. ALL of them (unless they don't want it in which case I will just shrug that off).

Can't wait to see Tyler next week(right?)! I think we will actually be leaving the MTC around the same day. If he has any questions, or rather if Susan has any questions, they should feel free to ask me. I have had so much clarified as well as had so many different questions come up. I'll just have to figure those out. I'm a pro at the MTC though. I think my district might be the highest seniority here actually. I feel so old, but still lacking in wisdom.

I'm pretty sure I have been here forty days now (that's how many push ups I did anyways). Starting to lose it. It'll be good to get outta here. I'm sorry that i can't send you anything cool because I can only speak the language, not write it. We're supposed to learn how to read and write in the field I guess. About that, Mom, if you haven't ordered the Triple column yet, I know how to do it from here, but I won't do it until I get the green light from you, so include an update in the next email/dear elder. If it's through email, I haven't seen it if I don't respond.

I started the Book of Mormon again after finishing this week (50 days and I was done). I have already finished 1st Nephi in three days, but I have been thinking about chapter 18:2-3 where he describes "working the timbers" and having the tools forged through the knowledge that was given to him by God. I have 2 specific questions for this time through the Book of Mormon: What does it take to be a disciple? and How can I become the Father and Husband that God wants me to be? This verse I think has a little more elaboration towards the concept of the refiner's fire. When we are working the timbers or forging tools for God's purposes, we shouldn't try to do this his way. Whether it be helping your investigators, raising children, or really anything else God has you do, we shouldn't just put aside God's instructions, do it the way we want to because it's faster or better in our eyes, and end up building a house than a boat as God instructed Nephi to build. Not necessarily a bad thing to build, but it wasn't what you were supposed to build. We are given gifts from God with a specific purpose. If you aren't sure what that purpose is yet, join the club. Until you know that purpose, don't just sit there waiting on the porch. Go do something that you know is good! Maybe God needs to make sure he can trust you with a specific set of instructions by testing your ability to use the gifts he's given you for righteous purposes. That is one of the ways to receive revelation though: if you don't know, start doing something. You might end up doing the right thing and God will just watch you as you do what he was going to have you do without Him even having to tell you what it was. He will give you the spirit of service as you use these gifts for the benefit of others. That is my testimony and I know it is true. As a missionary my purpose is to invite OTHERS! The MTC is a time where a missionary has the opportunity to test the strength of his or her testimony and see if they are really up to the challenge.
Always show your gratitude for any gift you have and for any good that comes of something you had the opportunity to help in. All good things are of God, not you.

I heard that Saturday was Homecoming? How was the game? Simon do alright? Did Simon go to homecoming? I haven't seen the mail yet so you have probably already said this.

Honestly though, if anyone has any questions about the MTC, ask, because otherwise I probably won't ever get around to telling you. I hope the Andersons, Lundbecks, and Brother Ross are doing well. Does he have a new companion yet? You should work on that Dad.

Are you still working on sending me solid color pictures of the family? Brother Johnson and Sister Kwok told us we should work on getting those because they are helpful in teaching investigators.

Hopefully I haven't forgotten anything. Have a stellar week. Hope everyone is safe and happy. Can't wait to talk to you guys at the airport! Here is the Temple,

me and Elder Hewitt, 


and my 3rd perfect room inspection in a row (told you I'm not a slob).





P.S. Some really funny Church Home Front commercials that were shown at the devotional last night that I highly reccomend finding: The Practice, Braces and Glasses, Kidnapped, Play Ball, Conference Call (Australian) and many others!

Also, something funny:  
Elder Belknap got me really good last night. Two nights ago, I used one of those lazer pens that also has a button that shocks you on him. I just snuck up on him while he was journaling and touched it to his forearm. Pretty hilarious reaction, but when I was falling asleep last night, he suck up on me, grabbed BOTH pens (there are two total) and put them right on my funny bone! Strangest feeling that I have ever felt. Not so much pain as when I sat up though. I'm on the top bunk, and since I'm tall, I kind of banged my head...really, really hard on the ceiling. Elders Belknap and McGrath were laughing so hard. I was pretty mad, but I cannot deny that he got me really good.
Decided I'd tell you that. Have a good week. Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground