Suffer the little children...week 87

Monday, April 17, 2017

Before the inspiring experiences of the week, quick update for all:
1) MY BROTHER SIMON IS GOING ON A MISSION TO MEXICO AND HE LEAVES 10 DAYS AFTER I GO HOME! I GET TO SEE MY BROTHER!!!!! I also get to call him Elder now...😊

2) Today is Elder Zachery Love's birthday! Turning 22 this year and going strong! I remember the days of finding, teaching, baptizing, etc with this awesome servant of the Lord. He's like an older brother to me. Those 8 months together were not wasted in any way whatsoever. He taught me things that I will never forget.

Notes from Mom:  Simon opened his call on Friday and has been called to the Mexico Saltillo mission.  He reports to the Mexico Missionary Training Center on Tuesday, August 29.  Ian gets home August 19 so we have 10 days of everyone together.  We are so excited!  

This Sunday, my heart was touched by a young boy named Sebastian. His parents are less active. His grandma is in the process of being reactivated. We met with him before church very early in the morning with his grandma. She has been struggling, though she didn't say to much in front of her grandson. This young boy, in the middle of the lesson, and plainly said: "I just have one question...is Jesus the Son of God?" A little surprised, we answered in the affirmative. He smiled real wide and his entire body was shaking with excitement. We gave him a copy of the Book of Mormon. We told him that they were written on gold plates and translated by a prophet of God. He repeated his previous response. Then it got interesting...his grandma leaned over and told him to calm down and stop acting like that. She looked at us as if she was embarrassed and a little frustrated with her excited grandson. Mark 10:14 went immediately through my head: Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of heaven.

I have two pleas with you my brothers and sisters. One, please never be ashamed of the gospel of Christ (Romans 1:16). Don't suppress those who are excited about the message of hope that has been restored. Rather, we should become as Sebastian, joyful and hopeful.
Two, read the Book of Mormon. I saw this young boy again outside after church on his way home. His mother guiding him along the road because he COULD NOT PUT THE BOOK DOWN! I started to cry, and immediately evaluated my own conversion to the gospel. NEVER LOSE FAITH IN THIS PERFECT GOSPEL! It is true. It is HIS, and so are we, each one a child of God.
I know that this is true. I love you all. Let us all press on in the work of the Lord.

Notes from Mom:  Ian also forwarded a picture with the following description:  
We visited this family just last week. Their oldest son is serving in Taiwan. Caleb is their next son. He'll be with me at BYU this fall. Going on a mission after 1 semester. Simon's age. Nice kid. Very athletic. Very faithful family. Mom just got called as the Relief Society president and he was just released as the second counselor of the branch presidency a few weeks ago. I wanted to ask, has your sister mentioned anyone by the name of Hawkins? They moved to Saudi Arabia a few weeks ago, and I'm wondering how they have been.

Ian and Elder Johnson with the Hyde family:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground