Failure is only failure if you keep it that way...week 88

Monday, April 24, 2017

This week was a tough one. We didn't have too many people at church this week, and some of our investigators are struggling a little bit. That's the hard part, but let me tell you how it gets better.
I was sitting in sacrament, trying to keep my thoughts off of the fact that we didn't have nearly as many people as usual, trying to convince myself that it's just a bit of an off week. It rained a lot. A lot of people are getting sick. As I was struggling to stay afloat, the hymn began. I don't remember what the words were, but as I was singing, I felt a prompting to look around and think. As I did so, I saw strong members, working through their challenges, helping their children stay reverent as possible. My thoughts were led to wondering: "What if these were my children?" I know that this is a strange question at first, especially considering that I don't have any children period. The feeling of hope overwhelmed me though. I saw so much power for good surrounding me. We were there, and we are respectively trying our hardest to keep the commandments. A song of need and desire flowed as we all plead in our hearts for the peace that comes in forgiveness and in promised blessings, also known as covenants. I was so happy that I forgot all those little things that didn't matter. I saw my companion as an amazing teacher that had been helping me through struggles that he didn't even know about let alone understand fully. I thought about the strength of faith that comes in covenants, knowing that we all believed the same stuff, the same God, the same Savior, and the same Plan.

Nothing that I say is original or new. Nothing I say can change someone else. I can stand as a witness though, and then you can know that they only possible way to lose is when you give up. Don't let the scoffing and scorning from the great and spacious building shame you, nor let the mists of darkness blind you from the ultimate goal of JOY! Use the tools you have been given, and find hope in it. The scriptures are true not just because they are there. It is because of who caused it to be written and what his purposes were: to bring to pass YOUR immortality and eternal life.

That was me trying to describe what happened all because I sang a song. Pretty amazing what small and simple things can do:) Never give up your hope in Christ for something of infinitely less worth.
If the gospel sounds repetitive to you, it's because you have ceased to be amazed with just how amazing the promises are. We are not joking when we promise a blessing from God. We need to take the gospel more seriously. Otherwise, we will become like those who fall and wander into forbidden and strange paths. The Tree of Life is RIGHT THERE!

I ate a lot of food this week...it was a bad idea...
We went to Korean BBQ (must try...) with Elder Love and his trainee plus we also WENT TO THE TEMPLE on Friday with our district. Twas much fun. I will send you the template for suit measurements next week. I also found a random picture from FOREVER ago (Thanksgiving last year).

This is a picture of Ian and Elder Darrington in Sheung Shui: 




Notes from Mom:  Ian responded to a few other brief emails, which included our talking about safety in Simon's mission, but we are faithful and hopeful and understand the blessings of obedience.  Ian does too:    "Elder Johnson goes home June 16th (his birthday...). Simon will be protected according to his obedience. You might want to point out that this means being home ON TIME and not wasting time with members. It's hard sometimes, but he will know the spirit AND the letter of the law as he keeps the rules of the mission and becomes more familiar with the Holy Ghost. I have seen a couple of scorpions, and there was once a cobra in another missionary's hallway outside the apartment. No one has ever been hurt by these kinds of things on this mission though. They almost seem to just avoid the missionaries. The biggest problem would be big dogs in the new territories. I mean HUGE. They are easily twice as big as Ozzie. Always chained up though... Hopefully I didn't just freak you out. No need to worry about this kind of stuff:) Simon just needs to avoid any missionary that would try to mess with the animals. Jacob 6:12...always Jacob 6:12."  As a mom, I appreciate Ian's counsel even more as it is advice from one loving brother to another.  He added several pictures on google mail. Patience is a virtue, but here they are now:













No comments:

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground