I love Christmas! week 69

Monday, December 12, 2016

I think I would like to start off by stating that there is no better way to spread Christmas cheer than singing loud for all to hear. It only gets better and more filled with the spirit when you have 20 missionaries singing "O Little Town Of Bethlehem," each heart filled with love for each other, their investigators, their families and friends, and most of all for the Savior of the World.

"No ear may hear His coming, but in this world of sin,
where meek souls will receive Him, still the dear Christ enters in."
In the work of the Lord, we are often stumped in our efforts to pick out those "meek souls" in a crowd of millions. I don't think that is the meaning of the song though...

We cannot push our beliefs on anyone. I would find this especially true around this Christmas time, where we celebrate not only the gift of a Savior, but also the reason that He came. Humankind has been given the beautiful gift of agency, being able to act according to their desires. I am a living witness of the fact that, even though we may use our agency at times to do wrong, even if it wasn't our intention, because of the gift of a Savior, we no longer are bound to our mistakes. No longer must we be crushed by regret or ensnared in anger. Instead, a peace settles over the earth as we all in humble awe think of the image of a star shining in the east, or a virgin in a stable, or shepherds abiding in a field, or wise men travailing through the long journey to find a child born to be a king. Not a king of earth. No throne of iron or sword of steel. No chains that bind. Just light. A light that peirced the darkest of doubts forever. It definitely peirced my own doubts.

Blessed be the God who saved us all. May we all take just a minute in our understandably busy lives to wonder what we would bring to him if we were the wise men. What lullaby would we sing to this babe who may not even have known the sacrifice that he would make for men?

He knows us now. He will know us forever. He rejoices when we are happy and weeps when we stray from the path that He has forged with his own hands. I add my witness to the millions of others from all ages: Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God. I leave my humble testimony in this email that I hope you can feel what I feel when I say these things in the Holy and Sacred name of Jesus Christ, Amen

Merry Christmas


Notes from Mom:  So I did the usual by sending pictures and then wrote to him.  This week was Adam's 14th birthday.  He and his friend Landon Boyer both became Teachers and earned their Duty to God for Deacons. Landon is a good friend to Adam so it was nice that they could advance together. I told Ian about it and then told him I am readying the box to send.  What would he like included? "Toothpaste would be convenient. The cheap kind that they have here works, but it's not very cheap, and I always feel like I am not actually brushing my teeth because it tastes more like rootbeer than mint (I'm not sure how they mix those up in production, but oh well). Also, the SKYPE thing will be happening (I'm pretty sure at least). I have to organize everyone's time scheduling before tomorrow because we only have one place and we don't want it to be a hassle. I will tell you next week what time I will be doing it with you. It's 1:00 pm that I'm sending this. Don't worry about time. My main focus is supposed to be direct family anyways. I trust that you will know what to get me for christmas. Chocolate covered almonds and cinnamon bears would be nice around this season. More hot chocolate (I'm trying to be sparing with it, but it is almost gone...)Whatever fits really. Did I ever send you a picture of the new suits?  Colgate anything really works. I just realized I forgot my camera, so I will send you a picture of them next week. I'm actually wearing one right now...Regarding Landon Boyer:  His whole family is awesome. That actually reminds me, do they still have any contact with Felis these days (the chinese foreign exchange student from a LONG time ago). I still regret not trying to be better friends with her."

Ian still hasn't forgotten the families he home taught.  "Mom, could you also tell the Lundbecks and the Andersons that I love them and pray for them. I know it's been a while since I sent anything like a home teaching message, but I hope that they have a safe and happy christmas season and that they can remember that the happiest part of our life will always be when we choose to act as the savior did (no wonder the church is doing this "Light the World" initiative)."

Our neighbors, the Andersons, moved earlier this year.  I wasn't sure if I had told Ian!  The Andersons moved to St. George at the end of the school year. I keep up with them on Facebook. I sent them a quick message and they really appreciated it.  

Ian added:  "Yes I am aware. Bishop Ashcraft specifically stated to me in my last interview that I had with him that a home teacher is never released from the families he is assigned to. The Andersons and the Lundbecks are the families that I had last. However, now that I think about it, could you also send it to the Jensens (Kylee's family) and, if at all possible, the daughter of the Esplins that Dad and I home taught a while ago that lived in the Trapnell's basement. Sorry to load this on you, but I think that it's really important."  

I informed Ian that the Wallace's had recently had their first baby.  "WHAT!!! I didn't know. That's what I get for slacking off. Tell them that I send a belated congratulations! She is adorable! I love the name."

We look forward to the Skype with Ian.  One more regular week and then a Christmas phone call!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground