Brother Chan (the best brother Chan out of all the other million or so other Mr. Chans)...week 49

Monday, July 25, 2016

I would like to share a story about Brother Chan. I met him once before I came to this area and before he was baptized. I was actually the one who gave him his baptismal date. He's 76 years old, enjoys biking with his two grandsons and studied manufacturing at Hong Kong Polytechnic university. He's also one of the embodiments in my life of Power in the Priesthood.

We meet with him once a week to check on his health as well as read scriptures and preach my Gospel with him. Reading used to be extremely difficult at times because of his lung cancer, but he has told us that even his doctors have been surprised by the improvement of his condition after his baptism and confirmation. He was even physically able to bless the sacrament last week. He told us that "when I knelt down to bless the bread, there was no pain. Going down is never the hard part though is it. I remember being afraid that morning because I wouldn't be able to get up and continue the ordinance. I prayed for the strength of the priesthood though, and after I said the sacrament prayer, I stood up. I felt stronger and more confident that I have felt in the twenty years since I had been diagnosed with cancer. I love my Father in Heaven." That's about the most direct translation I can give. The same priesthood that a 16-18 year old adolescent holds was enough to strengthen a man, even if just momentarily, to over come years of cancerous battles and damage done to his body. I remember watching him stand. He almost jumped, which only confused and surprised the priests standing next to him. The power in that sacrament meeting was tangible and wonderful.

Brother Chan used to be a member of the Catholic church, and when I first met him I was desirous to see what his reaction to a baptismal invitation would be considering that he had clearly communicated to the missionaries prior his conflict with the authority of the church.
When I said the words of the invitation though, he just stared at his Book of Mormon for a moment. His eyes weren't looking up, but his heart was heavenward, and God answered his earnest prayer of asking "what would you have me do?" He said yes. The spirit again was very strong with this man. 

His home is sacred to me, and his words are filled with power and kindness as he bears his converted testimony of the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith. He is now yet another strong source for my own testimony and faith to draw from. The man who walked in torrential rain for two hours to get to a three hour church meeting and who rides his bike every sunday morning to get to the Church even before the missionaries do is one of my heroes. A man of God whom I dearly love. I hope that I can be as humble as this dear friend and teacher of mine, Chan Kin Yip. I'll get a picture on Wednesday because that day will be temple day and we are given time that day to do our weekly shopping and P-day activities. Have a good week y'all!戴長老

Notes from Mom:  I thought Ian would send pictures this week, but he didn't have his adaptor with him.  I asked about his Zone Conference and he said it went well.  "A lot of missionaries were taking pictures (not including me because my camera was dead). Zone Training went well. It's kind of scary that it's only been a couple of weeks and we're already getting ready for the next one. Time is going by too fast. Yoshi just bought a buch of pizza and drinks for all of the misionaries at Zone training. He really has been sticking himself out for all of us. I really appreciated it. He even bought me a little present: some Japanese cooling spray that you use in extremely hot and sweaty weather. It's super nice. I'll see if any other missionaries have pictures."  He has another day this week to write and send pictures since they are going to the temple on Wednesday.  The temple has been closed until recently for maintenance.  Bonus email week!

Here's a picture of brother Chan Kin Yip and Elder Love.


Sheung Shui missionaries crashed into Bishop Choi on his way to the temple!
Ian, Elder Love, Bishop Choi, Sister Hugo, and Sister Kessen. 


Re-baptizing Elders Wilcoxon (next to me) and about to head back home after a faithful two years Elder Chu (being dunked by Elder Love who is on the far right of the picture). 


All of us blindly looking into the distance. It was very bright.



Zara Glasses for Elder Taylor.  


Elders Chen, Love, and Peterson holding mattress pads.


Left to right: Elders Farr, Love, Chen, and Peterson.


"The Sky" by Elder Love using Elder Taylor's camera. 


Brother Wong soon to be activated.


Ancient Village older than America.


This was a picture extravaganza!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground