The week of the end...week 14

Monday, November 23, 2015

Well, I hope that everyone is doing well. I for sure am. A lot better actually. Looking back at last week, I realize that I didn't do a very good job of describing the situation between me and my companion. We have actually been butting heads REALLY hard. During practice lessons, after finding, during phone calls, planning sessions daily and weekly. We could hardly ever agree on anything. It was very difficult to be able to have the spirit in companionship activities and I could feel myself seeking to avoid him at all costs. We have every day though, come to better terms with each other. Now I can officially say that we feel more like brothers than companions. Sure we didn't wan't to kill each other, but it can be understood that if you don't know someone and haven't become one in your faith in Christ, you WILL NOT be able to teach effectively. Our numbers for the past few weeks have actually proved this to be true. Days and weeks where we have better unity show better results because the Lord trusts us then with more of his blessings and opportunities to share with his sheep the gospel of salvation.
Today we actually had a meeting with all of the trainers and trainees in the mission (literally all 60 Cantonese, 6 Mandarin, and 2 English). Huge meeting. We actually separated for the whole meeting. One group was trainees, the other trainers. When Elder Tung and I got together afterward, we hugged happily and I felt all disputation fade. The perfection of man can only come through Christ. Not only this, but the perfection of men in their relationships and their abilities to become ONE under his guidance.

This brings me to my ponderizing scripture: Hebrews 5:8. We learn obedience in our sufferings, just as the Savior did in his. Just as Elder Tung and I did in this situation. Just as you can every day.

I would like to mention the blaring issue of my appearance here. I am now about 185 pounds, I think I might almost be 6'4" now (though it might just be the short people around me making me feel like I'm growing). I have a pale complexion, blonde hair, and white teeth. My arms, though to most Americans may seem skinny and frail, are only cause to be frightened by how skinny all of the men here are. It's amazing to see these seemingly frail individuals lift items double their weight with ease. They may not look very strong, and they are definitely lacking in their ability to play more western sports like basketball and soccer, they are powerful, and humbly hard working. You hear about people like the sherpas who hike mount Everest every other week carrying the supplies of foreign climbers. They have no problem with their shape so much as what they can do! Yet they will look at someone who is a bit taller or bulkier and stare at them as if they are indestructible. I don't like being looked at that way. I feel alienated (which I guess I am). My job as a missionary is to be their friends. I hope to be able to become better at approaching them in a way that they won't be distracted by physical features. There are things in this world of so much more importance.

Last item.Tell me: If someone like Alma were in your seminary class, what would you think about him? Put aside the muscles of Moroni, or the armor of Teancum and put the personality of one of these scripture heroes into the body of a normal teenager body. What would others think about him? You might be surprised how many people, possibly including yourself, would think of him as strange and weird and even uncomfortable because you are not on the same level of understanding as him. Now amplify that feeling to if the Savior simply walked into your seminary class. Would he be accepted? He came to this world in righteousness and adherence to all the laws, even fulfilling prophecy unto the healing of the afflicted, teaching of the learned, and repentance and healing of the entire world, bringing all men unto Him as they had faith and a desire to put off this mortal in order to become something immortal.
Make a goal to be the person that, though they may stand out and be strange and even not accepted by others, will ALWAYS do what they know is what God wants them to do.
I'm still waiting for an update on Matt Bingham. I really want to know how he's doing.

I love you all. I wish you the best. I pray for you. I feel your prayers in my behalf. Thank you. Strength is something that a missionary just can't get enough of, especially from the endless source of family and friends. Good luck in the coming weeks and HAPPY THANKSGIVING! I wish I could toss a football with my brothers right now, but I want them to know that I love them. Ana, you are doing great, I know it. Keep up the good work and forget about the bad things because they'll only hold you down.

Pictures Finally!

Ian with his cousin Tyler Schunk.  They were in the MTC together briefly:


Two MTC districts together:  Ian's is ready to leave and the other is new!


Ian's district with the 2 flags from their mission, Hong Kong and Macau:


Kwai Chung from above:



even...MORE! Yes, McDonalds has a touch screen order system here because of how popular they are. 


The first meal I made myself in HK has steamed buns and fruit. Super hot in that old apartment in Kwai Chung.


and so forth... The rock path is for walking on without shoes. After finding for a few hours, it's a huge blessing to walk past one. They hurt so much at first though.



it just keeps going. Desk in area 1 vs. Desk in the Temple.




 I also destroy at bowling as a missionary.




Beautiful Views:



Me with my companion.


I also found this thing...The memory of no smoking week in elementary school. Shoutout to anyone who remembers that! Found it in a closet at the church. Scariest moment of the week.


Also Have my new name tag. SEE!


I even got to go to the Bruce Lee museum! I look so weird in Asia.



To answer your questions:
1. We do have stuff for the zone planned for thanksgiving, as well as a surprise piece of information that I will give you when it gets closer to Christmas. Don't worry so much about us, but we are actually in high demand of snacks. Sour patch is the best, but granola bars are really really nice. Thank you for the toothpaste. Pens. Maybe some small folders for all of the talks mission orienters that are accumulating on my desk. FYI, I actually had the opportunity to go with a couple of other missionaries to a real MUJI store. They have WAY more than just office supplies, though those are definitely of the highest quality and variance. It's like the Japanese IKEA here!
2. I found a card reader that WORKS! Thank you China for having everything tech-wise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground